What is Bill 124?
On November 8, 2019, the Ontario legislature passed Bill 124. Bill 124 is aimed at the broader public sector, including: hospitals, crown agencies, school boards, universities, colleges, long term care homes, orange, children’s aid societies, and other boards, corporations, offices or organizations that do not carry-on activities for the purpose of gain or profit. These organizations must also have received at least $1,000,000 in funding from the Government of Ontario in 2018.
The legislation essentially imposes a series of 3 year “moderation periods”. These are salary and total compensation caps during which the salaries and total compensations are capped at 1% per year. Led by OPSEU along with other bargaining agents a Charter Challenge was filed, hearings have been scheduled to begin in the fall of 2022.
More information can be found on the local 565 website: Bill 124 – OPSEU Local 565
Your bargaining team members:
· Sandi Folkes (Eligibility Officer)- Bargaining Team Chair
· Nigel Edwards (Eligibility Officer) – Local 565 President
· Lorne Blais (Compliance Official) – Local 565 Vice-President
· Roger Yee (Lead, iGaming Compliance Assurance)
· Clint Ferguson (Compliance Official)