Should you be the subject of a complaint or investigation, here is some information to assist you.
If you are asked to attend a meeting with management and / or HR but are not provided a reason why, take the following steps:
- In an email ask the reason for the meeting and if you require Union Representation.
- If you are provided a reason for the meeting, make copies of any notes, emails or any other information related to the issue.
- Notify the Union immediately if it is a complaint or a disciplinary meeting.
- Review your notes or any other information you have with your Union Representative before the meeting.
At the meeting:
- Bring a pad of paper and a pen to record notes. You have the right to take notes.
- If you have not been informed of the reason for the meeting before hand, make sure to ask why you are there at the beginning of the meeting.
- If it is a complaint and you do not have a Union Representative present, advise them that you wish to have your Union Representative present. If you are advised that it is not necessary, tell them that you will cooperate with their investigation however, you wish to have your Union Representative attend.
- If they wish to proceed with the meeting and no Union Representative is present, advise them that you are continuing the meeting under duress.
- If it is a complaint, ask for the exact date the complaint was received. (The employer has guidelines to follow).
- Obtain copies of any letters that may be provided by HR or Management. These may have been edited to include only parts that are related to you.
- Allow HR or Management to say their part.
- Ask for a caucus to review any materials or information provided by HR or Management with your Union Representative.
- If you have questions after this, make sure you ask. If the employer cannot answer them ask why.
- If you have not done so, ask for time to obtain copies of notes or emails so that you can better answer questions.
- Stay focused. Only provide answers to the questions they are asking. Do not provide unnecessary details or comments.